7.18.2005

Milestones That I Look Forward To (Volume the First)

Today, in addition to the rice cereal, the boy enjoyed peaches. They must've been awfully sour, in his opinion, because he made a horrible face and drooled a lot as he ate them. In my jaded opinion, they were somewhat tart in flavor, but he seemed a bit less drawn to them than he was to the applesauce.

Of course, that has nothing to do with the title of this entry, which is Milestones That I Look Forward To (Volume the First). I plan to add more of these entries as time goes on, and they will detail milestones in my son's life that I, as a father look forward to.

These potential events aren't listed in order of preference. Rather, they are listed as I think of them. Just because I add a milestone today doesn't make it any less important than one I decide to add tomorrow.

Milestones

1. Taking off his training wheels.

I know that, some day, we're going to bust out and buy him a bicycle, complete with training wheels. When he's ready, I'll get out one of my seldom-used wrenches (likely last used when I put the bike together on Christmas Eve) and take those bad boys off.

I remember when I had my training wheels taken off. I was six years old, and I was exceptionally proud of the fact that I could ride my bike without those silly things slowing me down. As a side-note, it wasn't my father who took my training wheels off, but a tomboyish girl who lived down the way. I don't remember her name, but I do remember that she told me, "You don't need those anymore."

She was right.

2. Taking him to Disneyland.

I look forward to this event, in large part because we will probably not go back to Disneyland until Stephen is old enough to enjoy it. Selfish? Maybe so, but I'm sure that my happiness in seeing my son's face as he sees the lights and sights of Disneyland for the first time will surely eclipse my own happiness at seeing those things once more.

I estimate that this will occur on or around his fourth birthday.

3. Teaching him a game, any game.

Uno, Candyland, Chutes & Ladders, Monopoly, Checkers, Chess, Poker, Dungeons & Dragons. Games are such an important part of my life that sharing them with Stephen will be an incredibly high point for me. Heck, the last time my wife and I went shopping for games, we considered the fact that we'd want games that could play well with three players (so that we can accomodate him when he's old enough to join in).

4. Watching a movie with him, and knowing he appreciates it.

He can watch movies now, but at this point in his life, a movie on the television is just a bunch of sounds and lights. He has no grasp of characters, plots, or chronology. He's just drawn to the movement and color on the screen.

Titles that I recall fondly from my youth: Star Wars, for one. I can't forget Clash of the Titans and Raiders of the Lost Ark, which I saw for a double-feature on my eighth birthday in a Leavenworth (the city, not the prison) movie theater.

5. Taking him shopping for his mother, either for her birthday, for Mother's Day, or for Christmas.

6. Speaking of Christmas...I can't wait for Stephen's first Christmas where is actually aware of the meaning of the holiday.

I'm not necessarily talking religion here; I'm speaking more of the spirit of giving, of family, and of happiness brought on by more than gifts. I guess it's a lofty goal, since a lot of people don't seem to move past the gifts, goodies, and rampant consumerism of the holiday season.

On the left, you can see a picture of Stephen's mother, very pregnant, at Disneyland at Christmastime...which was the last time any of us went to Disneyland. I mean, the three of us were there. Technically.

Six milestones for now. Not a bad start. I'll add more as I think of them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home