7.20.2005

In Memoriam: James Doohan

Let me start by saying that I'm not what you'd call a huge Star Trek fan. I enjoy the original series, and I remember enjoying Next Generation when it was in syndication. I liked some of the movies (especially Wrath of Khan and Search for Spock, and one of my high school counselors had a small speaking role in The Voyage Home), but never really went for any of the other spin-offs.

When I read today that James Doohan (aka, "Scotty") had died, I felt a pang of regret. It's not like I knew him, nor did I know much about him (until I read this report on CNN).

I especially enjoyed this Doohan quote from the story:
"I like Captain Kirk, but I sure don't like Bill. He's so insecure that all he can think about is himself."
Somehow, that doesn't surprise me. Not knowing Mr. Shatner personally, I can't say whether or not it's true, but he (Shatner) does have a reputation for arrogance.

So a science fiction icon has passed away, leaving me with fond memories of the shows and films that would never have been the same without him. I doubt that I'll be the first or last to say it, but Scotty has, himself, been beamed up.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home