9.30.2006

Two Weeks and Counting

Our scheduled trip to Pennsylvania is less than two weeks away. There's a lot left for us to do to prepare. We've got the plane tickets (have had them for a couple of months, actually), and I reserved our rental car yesterday.

I guess Dollar was having some kind of special, because the weekly rate for minivans was a tad higher than the weekly rate for a compact car. The way I see it, the extra capacity (and space) of a minivan isn't necessarily a bad thing, especially since we'll be driving to Gettysburg while we're there.

We went over luggage restrictions the other day, trying to decide what we should ship ahead (supplies, mostly, like diapers), and what we should check as luggage (the Pack & Play, which will act as a crib for the boy while we're out of state). Each of us (including the boy) can check two pieces of luggage, which is more than we'll need. We travel pretty light.

I've also got some freelance work to do between then and now, work which is already overdue but which I plan to have done by the time we board the plane.

Speaking of planes: how do we handle our energetic, precocious little boy on a four hour flight? It's one of the questions that is haunting both Amy and I. He's a good kid, but four hours is a long time for anyone to sit in the same spot. We'll be bringing along some crayons and books and other things to try and keep him busy, and there's always the chance he'll sleep (though I seriously doubt it).

Not only that, but Stephen's internal clock will be set to PST. I don't know how we'll manage to get him to go to bed at a decent hour. All this, and more, will be answered in less than two weeks.

Our gracious hosts, Helen and Paul, are really looking forward to seeing the boy (and us, too, I gather). We'll all have a chance to experience Fort Ligonier Days, which is a local festival that includes French/Indian War reenactments at a genuine restored FIW fort. It should be a lot of fun. I don't know what the weather will be like. After living in California, the land of drought, I could do with a little rain, but I'm more interested in seeing autumn leaves.

We've got some errands to run today: grocery shopping, mostly, and then I'm off to the coffee shop for umpteen hours to squeeze several thousand words out of my brainpan.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home