6.11.2007

Corsica, RIP

My '95 Chevy Corsica passed away on Thursday.

Well...technically, it's not dead, but it is in the final stages of life. It's so far gone that I wouldn't feel comfortable driving it more than a few hundred yards. It's only got about 85,000 miles, which is a shame. It was a good car. Chalk it up to a water leak that was confined more to the engine block than to the radiator. I've been nursing the thing for a while now, making sure there's enough water/coolant to keep it at normal temperature.

Over the past couple of weeks, the amount of fluid I've had to put into the car has increased quite a bit. Normally, it was about a gallon every 2-3 weeks. It had turned into a weekly event. Driving to a memorial service last Thursday, a mere day after filling the radiator, it grew hotter than it's ever been, began to steam, and was running rough.

The general opinion: a cracked head.

Normally, I would have been completely upset. However, I saw the writing on the wall a long while back. Given our impending move to Virginia, I had planned to buy a new car this past weekend. I'd planned to trade the Corsica in, but it wasn't having any of that. Likely feeling betrayed and abandoned, it decided to give up its lease on life, instead. In a short time, I will be calling an auto wrecker or a local charity to come and take it away. First, I need to get all the Civil War gear out of the trunk.

Which brings me to the new car: a brand new 2008 Scion xB. Not as boxy as the original Scions, it's also got a bigger engine and more interior room. Like the original, it's got a slew of standard features that I'm really pleased with. I'm still getting used to the clutch (it's a manual transmission). I'll try to get some pictures up here soon.

The planning stages of our trip are underway. We're awaiting a consultation from a moving company at the moment. The apartment application docs will be sent out tomorrow. I don't see any trouble getting approved, but you never can tell. Best case scenario goes something like this:

We ship our belongings and Amy's Hyundai to VA.
Stephen, the cats, and myself drive to VA, leaving on 6/25, intending to arrive on 6/29. It's possible that our friend Robert will be accompanying us in one capacity or another.
Amy and Maddie fly out on or around 6/28, and meet us there.
I start work on 7/2.

I'm trying to keep things relatively open, because we all know that the best laid plans usually break down under combat conditions.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Time for a new post.......

7:04 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Happy B'day...

Are you connected yet?

My emails are bouncing off your old address...

Lynn

6:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home