1.23.2006

First Day on the Job

Needless to say, I survived.

It's a purchasing position, so anyone with any kind of experience in that field is going to know what I have to look forward to. Buying stuff, plain and simple. Lots of support activities, like filing and faxing and MRP, too. Oh, and let's not forget basic trouble-shooting, like when the receiving department calls and complains that a package doesn't have a purchase order number, or they don't know who to deliver it to.

The software that is used seems pretty straightforward. Granted, I've only done a few orders, and they were pretty simple ones at that.

Much of my time today was spent being trained by my leadperson. She's patient, has a funny sense of humor, and I think we'll get along pretty well. Training was interrupted by IT-related issues...password issues, server issues, new guy issues. We ironed it out, though.

HR gave me a large amount of paperwork to complete. Joy! So I spent a good bit of time prior to making this post signing my name and filling out stuff.

My feelings about the day are mostly positive. I'm still a little nervous, with a little bit of the old "impending doom" feeling that I always get when I switch jobs. It's the question of the unknown: what will happen? What will I have to do? Will I be able to do it? And, most importantly, will I like what I'm doing?

These questions and more shall be answered in time. For the most part, I think the universal answer will be "yes." After all (and even though I never admit it out loud), I'm smart, experienced, and I have financial responsibilities that must be met. The third reason alone is enough to make me crave strong alcoholic drink and seclusion from humanity.

Just kidding.

So there's your report on the day. Now, let's see if I can manage to survive the week.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home