1.20.2006

Just Call Me Mr. Mom

Although I did avoid a very poopy diaper this morning (Stephen's mom was good enough to clean that mess up before she left for work), I have done my fair share of them over the past few days. My wife calls it "baby boot camp," though I reckon it's not quite that bad.

Stephen requires near-constant attention. He's got a good attention span, so he can get busy doing his own thing, but before long he'll come back looking for me. "Hey pops," he says. "I'm gonna hang all over you and make strange sounds as I eat this here bath toy."

His english isn't quite that good, but you get the idea. See the photo to the left.

Right this second, he's fighting sleep. He gets this "nap look," which I can only equate to a "thousand yard stare" of sorts. It generally involves a great deal of staggering around, rubbing the eyes, and fussing over minor setbacks. When I see two of those symptoms present simultaneously, I take the hint and put him down for a nap.

So, some pictures. This is a cute one at right, taken at a recent trip to the San Diego Zoo. Thank God for those annual passes we picked up, because they've paid for themselves and then some. He's not really into the animals, though he does enjoy staring at some of the bigger ones. Stephen is more of a people-watcher. I guess a trip to the store is just as much fun to him as a trip to the Zoo.

We took a ride on the sky cars. Unfortunately, the camera batteries died before we did so, so there's no photos of the boy on his aerial journey, but all indications were that he really enjoyed it. He's not a big fan of the wind blowing in his face, but he does like seeing new things. By the time we were halfway through the ride, he was clinging to the handrail and staring out at the horizon like Christopher Colombus.

Ahh...asleep at last. He'll probably sleep for an hour or so. I guess I'll try to get some rest, too. This is my last weekday as an unemployed bum, so I may as well enjoy it.

More later.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home