1.30.2006

Meat Loaf: It's What's For Dinner

Tonight, anyway.

As mentioned previously, I've been cooking a lot lately. I make sure to cook enough that we've got left-overs to eat the next day, be it for lunch or for dinner or for snacks. Tonight, it's meat loaf. We'll have a slab or two for supper (along with corn on the cob), with enough to spare for sandwiches tomorrow.

I used to make meat loaf a lot when I was living under my mother's roof, many moons ago. Back then, I'd take a bunch of ground beef, mix it with liberal amounts of crushed garlic, catsup, salt, pepper, an egg, and cracker crumbs (or oatmeal, if crackers weren't available), mix it up, throw it into a dish, and bake it. It would last the family several days, after which time we'd be sick and tired of it.

These days, it's a new story. I got the idea to mix sausage with the ground beef a couple of weeks ago. Some mild Italian sausage was the first experiment, three links (skinned and crumbled) to two pounds of ground beef, with some Worcestershire sauce and pepper for added flavor. It came out great.

The next week, I made an extra large batch, but used uncooked bratwurst instead of Italian sausage. It was quite tasty. Tonight, I'm cooking a small batch using hot Italian sausage. I'd like to try it with some breakfast sausage, too, specifically that terribly tasty Jimmy Dean stuff.

I know, it's probably horribly bad for us, but we're poor! We gotta eat what we gotta eat!

In case you were wondering about the new job, it's going well. I'm at the start of my second week, and will get my first (itsy bitsy) paycheck this Friday. Thank all the gods for that, too! It's been tight around here. I'd like the option of going out for dinner at least once before February ends.


Oh, and then there's Stephen. He's a crack-up. We had dinner at my mom's place last night, and he was really well-behaved. He's especially fond of corn bread, it seems. Here, we have a recent photo of the sprout taking a bath. Note the devil horns sprouting from his head, indicating his true nature. He only wants us to think he's sweet, cute, and loving. When the real Stephen comes out, though, be careful!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's a great picture of Stephen!

12:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home