7.03.2007

Day Two Behind, Day Three Ahead

Yesterday, we pulled out of Flagstaff around 11am, and we drove until we reached Amarillo (where we are now). The countryside certainly is beautiful in many parts of Arizona and New Mexico, but New Mexico's population centers (especially Albuquerque) left something to be desired. I suppose that with as large as it is, Albuquerque probably has nice areas, but I didn't see any of them first-hand.

As for Amarillo: despite being in Texas, it's civilization. Tucumcari, one of the last stops on I40 out of New Mexico, was practically a ghost town. Where did all the people go? I have no idea.

Every time we pass through a crummy little burg, I can't help but think of Needles for some reason. I mean, what a hell hole. I don't mean any disrespect, but the place was as close to hell on earth as I've ever seen. One-hundred twenty degree heat, and gas prices so inflated that you know it's got to be some kind of gouge. Premium unleaded was $3.99/gallon, with regular a mere twenty cents below that. I guess the place is so terrible that they figure you'll pay anything to avoid being stuck there.

We're having some trouble getting used to the time change. Texas is two hours removed from California time. Hence, we're up later than I'd wanted to be. I wanted to be driving by now, but we probably won't hit the black until 10am local time.

I'd like to make Nashville tonight, but I feel like I'm setting myself up for failure just by mentioning the fact. I guess we'll see where we are ten hours from now.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

May the winds be in your back, Gary. Be waiting for a full exodus report soon. ;-)

8:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good luck guys. Today is hump day.

9:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home