8.15.2005

My Stream of Consciousness

I need new shoes.

I've got this horrible habit of buying really cheap shoes. "Fifteen dollars at Target" cheap. Then I complain when they wear out after two or three months. I have never spent more than twenty or twenty-five bucks on a pair of shoes (unless you count the cavalry boots that I reenact in, which I don't). It's a hard habit to break, but I suppose I need to pony up a wad of cash for some good, comfortable, relatively well-made footwear.

It's Monday. My wife and son are napping. Stephen has been a handful lately, likely because he's teething. Very grumpy, indeed. He's got good moments, too...it's not all cloudy skies and thunder.

He learned to roll over on Saturday. I was playing with him on the sofa, and decided that he could do with some tummy time. I rolled him over on his belly, and he propped himself up with his arms, gave me a look, and rolled himself over onto his back. I was shocked. Now, two days later, he can do it on demand. It's pretty amusing.

Work has been busy. Lots to do. Then I get home, hang with the family, and try to get as much writing done as I can. The current project seems to be dragging. I've got a September 14th deadline, and I really hope I can make it. The chapter I'm working on was originally pegged at nine thousand words; I'm currently well over 15k, and I'm not done yet.

It makes me want to scream...I'm not usually one to write so much over wordcount.

The product developer told me that it's all good, and that it's more of a "living outline" anyway. I suppose that's his way of reassuring me.

I'm also on board with another writing project; relatively tiny, by comparison to the current one, but still significant to me. I'm finally writing for the Midnight product line, which is something I've wanted to do since my work started being published.

Of course, this leads me to mention Gen Con in Indianapolis. Forty-eight hours from now, I'll be there, barring acts of God. It's a trip I can't really afford from a financial standpoint, but it's also a trip that I really can't afford to miss from a professional standpoint, either. If I can find a hotspot or two in Indy, I'll be sure to pop in occasionally and update everyone on my adventures.

That's about all the news I'm willing to post at the moment. There are other things going on, but I prefer to let them lay for the time being. I have more important things to do.

Like buying shoes.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds a lot like me and my shoes, until Ain forced me to buy better shoes at gunpoint.

Have a good trip to GenCon. Take lots of photos.

9:31 PM  
Blogger Alan said...

I need to get a new pair of shoes as well, amigo. The most comfortable pair of "casual work" shoes were made by Clarks (of England), so I'm going to stop by one of the Carlsbad Outlet stores on Wednesday and see if I can't pick up a pair for my trip do Hot-lanta...

7:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home